Wednesday, December 19, 2018

I failed my driving test!



Recently, I took my driving test.

I’m sure you already know how it went if you read the title. That’s right, I failed!

Get comfortable because it’s story time and I’m going to share with you the story of my unheroic driving test!

Once upon a time (last week), I woke up and it was the day of the dreaded driving test.

Actually, I wasn’t really dreading it. I was just hoping that I’d pass the test because I wanted the P-plates. But I guess the P-plates didn’t want me!

Oh well, everything happens for a reason!

The day before the test, I was reverse parking and kind of drove the back of the car into a pole. But it didn’t hurt the car, thank goodness, although there is clearly an evident scratch on the car. And that will always be there to remind me that firstly, my reversing skills are 1/10, and secondly, that you must always be careful when driving!

A day later, it’s time to take the test. We drag our slightly scratched car into the testing centre, and not before long, the examiner climbs into the car and plants himself comfortably in the passenger’s seat. But there was no need for him to get comfortable because he didn’t have to stay there very long. At all.

You think I failed because of my reversing, don’t you?

To tell you the truth, he never even had to ask me to reverse park. I had well and truly failed before then!
I didn’t even make it to the ‘U’ turn manoeuvre, the hill start, or the three-point turn.
I didn’t even get up to the lane change, the merge, the roundabout, or even go on a high speed road.
Out of five manoeuvres that needed to be assessed, only one was attempted.
I hardly did anything. Like, did I even take the test?!

And as I said, there was no need for the examiner to make himself comfortable. Because he was out the door within the first 15 minutes! To be brutally honest, my test was over after only 14 minutes! It’s reasonable to suggest that I failed within the first 10 minutes!

I’ll never forget walking back into the centre where my mum was waiting. Never have I seen her so shocked to see me again! The shock of her life, she had. Clearly, she was not anticipating my very speedy return!

Whatever could have gone wrong in those first ten minutes?!

And here is the answer… the SCHOOL ZONE!

I sped up before the end of the school zone!

There, I said it! Speed! One critical driving error and that was it for me.

How naughty of me!

Given that the only times I ever really drive nowadays are on the trip home from the train station which is from 5AM to 6AM, and when it’s after 7PM, and when it’s well into the holidays, it was surprising that I actually remembered to drop my speed below 40km/h when I hit the school zone.

I cruised along below 40km/h and all was good until my speed slowly crept up again. And just like that, I climbed over the 40km/h before we’d passed the last school zone road marking.

If you are going to take a driving test soon, don’t make the same mistake I made with speeding in the school zones!

I’ve been on holidays for three weeks, and my sister’s been on school holidays for two. It was very wrong of me to not prepare for the fact that other schools are still well and truly operating! In fact, the day I took the test was their very last day of school.

In many ways, I am glad that I failed that test. I needed to learn the lesson that I mustn’t go over 40km/h until the end of the school zone! If I had taken the test one day later, then it would not have been an issue. Maybe I would have got my Ps. But then again, if I took it one day later, I would never have learned the lesson in the same way! 

Now, this mistake will forever be etched in my mind, and never again will I ever forget about school zones! Now I know for next time, and for life!

The End.


Love, your young and unheroic driver.

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Young and Unheroic | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig