Thursday, January 10, 2019

Summers in Scarborough


D
aydreaming about the sun, sand, and sea? Why don’t you make the most of the warm Australian summers and take a day trip to the beach?

To be honest, I’m not an avid fan of swimming at the beach only because I always get crash-tackled onto the shore by those huge, white waves. Getting beaten up by waves is tiring work if you’re limp as seaweed like me! 

There are two solutions. I can keep rolling and tumbling with every wave that breaks until I learn to actually dive into the wave. Or I could look for a calmer, quieter beach where I won’t feel like I’m entering a boxing ring every time I take a dip into the water.

If you’re like me and choose option 2, then I’ve got the perfect recommendation for your next coastal day out!

It’s called Scarborough Beach and is located 1 hour north of Brisbane (by car), near Redcliffe. 


The reason why I love it is that it’s so calm. I suspect it’s because of Moreton Island nearby, which is sheltering the bay from waves of strong currents. But personally, I like how it brings back memories of beach trips from my childhood. When we visited recently, we saw so many families picnicking by the shore. Certainly, Scarborough Beach is such a relaxing place to spend the day.

As I mentioned earlier, we recently paid the peninsula another visit. It had been a few years!

I know I said that Scarborough Beach is a peaceful place to go for a dip, but what I enjoy most is not actually swimming, but simply taking a stroll along the beach and exploring the parks and cafes along the coastline! You can have a whale of a time without even getting wet!

Let me share with you some photos from the day, and hopefully, you can go for a visit next time too!


There was a beautiful walkway which took you out over the rocks so you could peer further out into the massive expanse of blue. It was so breezy, your hair flies out in all directions and leaves you with a lion’s mane!



And have you heard of ‘Gollum’s Door’? There’s this tree called ‘The Gollum Tree” with an enchanting-looking door, and apparently, Gollum from “Lord of the Rings” is behind it?! I wish I’d known this beforehand because, on our recent visit, I was like, “Let’s get a picture next to the FAIRY DOOR!!!”  

Gollum's Door
‘Gollum’s Door’ must be iconic because it has its own spot on Google Maps! If you visit, be sure to take a peek inside the little opening and read Gollum’s cheeky message on the door!

After ice-cream at the beach, we jogged at Endeavour Park and The Blue Park, beside the beautiful view of sparkling blue water which stretched for miles and miles.


We also spotted a whale beside the Alice Island Café!


There was a marina nearby with fishing boats, ski boats, and of course, the resident pelicans of the public pontoon!



If you’re looking for a calm, relaxing beach where you can leisurely walk along whilst taking in the majestic views, then this destination is right for you!

Want to see more pictures of the stunning Scarborough bayside? Have a look here

I can’t wait to go again! I hope you can visit next time too!


Love, Young and Unheroic
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Young and Unheroic | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig