Friday, January 25, 2019

1st Yr Uni Vet: How is the Workload?


Welcome to the 7th post in the Vet Viernes series! Today, I’ll be trying my best to answer that pressing question: how is the workload at vet school?!

A
s a timid high school student looking into the future, there were so many burning questions on my mind about vet school and whether it would be right for me.

Becoming a veterinarian is something that I’ve always dreamt of, and it was still my passion when I reached high school. But by then, I was also going through my fair share of stress and sleep-deprivation to the point where at times, my body and mind couldn’t handle it anymore. I began to harbour doubts about whether I could realistically cope – physically and mentally – with the stress and pressure of university.

If I was barely surviving high school, how long would I last in vet school?! Naturally, there was one question that was always nagging at my mind: What is the workload like???

Unfortunately, I couldn’t get that question answered until I got to vet school and found out for myself. So in the meantime, it was lucky that I didn’t let my self-doubts stop me from chasing my passions; they only fuelled my desperation get organised, fix my sleeping habits, and learn to work with time, not against it.

But despite how fiercely determined I was to make university work, I was still knee-deep in nerves when I arrived because of the impression I had of university being 100 times more worse than school!

But do you really think the purpose of this article is to frighten you away?!

Life beyond school is going to be like walking on a tightrope. You’ll be juggling all these tasks at once whilst trying to achieve some sense of balance. Sometimes you might get the wobbles and not feel as steady as other days, but remember that everyone’s trying so hard to keep it together. You’re never alone!

Having completed the first year of vet school and on the cusp of entering my second, I can finally answer the question which had plagued my mind during high school,
What is the workload like???’

To my huge surprise, it was less stressful than year 12. *gasp!*



All my fears going into uni only to find that it was, in fact, NOT 100 times more of stress, sleep-deprivation, and debilitating strain.

Before I go on, let me remind you that this was my experience, and it was only of first year. Not everyone will feel the same way I did, and I am yet to find out how good or not-so-good the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th years will be (eek!).

So, what is the workload really like?

Albeit a difficult question with a non-generic answer, I will try to answer it because this is what I wish I’d known before entering vet school.

It’s not a one-size-fits-all description, but my overarching finding was that first year vet school was LESS stressful than high school and MORE MANAGEABLE than I had imagined.

There are many reasons. For starters, you’re studying what you’re passionate about so you’re more engaged and eager to learn.

Secondly, at school you tend to study five or six subjects, 5 days a week, 8am to 3pm. At uni, the workload for a full-time student is four units per semester and you’re not on campus all day Monday to Friday. The workload could fit into the weekly study schedule with time left over for sleep!! 

Find out what my daily timetables looked like here!

Thirdly, maybe there’s too much pressure in high school with all the stress about university entry. Once you’re at uni, you’re part of the big wide world and the future is in your hands. You start to think of the bigger picture with a freer mind, and you feel like the load of pressure you were carrying from school is suddenly not so heavy anymore.


University of Sydney Fisher Library study spaces
Fourthly, when you get to uni, you’re on your own. The lecturers don’t know your name and they’re not chasing after you if you don’t complete a worksheet or miss a lecture. Although it means you have to be disciplined and self-motivated, it does feel like there’s less added pressure. You’re free to manage your time as you please and find out what works best for you.

As for the fifth reason, I feel university was less stressful because it was an entirely new environment. Sometimes a change in environment is all you need to put you back on track. 

After too many years of schoolwork, high school became imbued with nausea and stress. Going to university with a new routine, new room, and new setting was a breath of fresh air and indeed, a welcome change. 

In first year vet school, the things that took up the most time were not actually tasks that needed to be submitted. It was the preparation, pre-reading, reviewing, and revising which demanded more of your time.

For that reason, people could be tricked into thinking that it’s all pretty chill until final exams roll around and you realise you should have revised more regularly! That’s the mistake I made! If you want a well-balanced workload, don’t leave yourself helplessly bombarded at the last minute! 

I was also living between two states during my first year due to sporting commitments, and a sizeable chunk of each week was spent travelling. Even then, I managed to pass my subjectsThis might not be a feasible arrangement for the long-term but for the first year, the workload was manageable!


In summary, what surprised me was that first year vet school was less stressful than high school. I’m not saying that there was heaps of free time, but it left you with enough time to study, complete tasks on time, have a few other commitments e.g. sport or jobs, and still get a good night’s sleep! 

If you plan it right and have good time-management, first year vet school is manageable!

Work-life balance isn’t easy, and for most of us, juggling a dozen balls whilst walking a tightrope is probably the more realistic picture. 

But if you’re determined to keep sculpting your schedule into a smoother and more workable picture over time, then eventually, you’ll find the balance which works for you. 

Instead of feeling like you’re hanging on by a thread, you’ll soon find yourself leaping and pirouetting atop your tightrope!

So don’t fear and have fun!


Love, Young and Unheroic

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Young and Unheroic | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig